Subject matter changes quickly as knowledge grows in a particular field. Today’s information worker processes hundreds of pieces of information in a month from newspapers, radio, television, and internet usage. As a result of the ever-expanding knowledge base in the world, your reputation as someone “in the know” helps your customers and clients trust your judgement.
Act as a clearinghouse of select information by incorporating the following into your industry:
- Articles in the news that directly impact your clients
- Editorials on trends in your industry
- Tools such as software or physical objects being released in your field
- Upcoming or expected government regulation in your field
- Policy changes that impact your company
- International trends or agreements that impact clients
- Emerging trends that your customers may not know
- Scenarios or potential situations that your customers should be aware of
As you add up-to-date information on your industry, others will view your site as a trusted information source. Arrange your site in a way that highlights your abilities to share multiple pieces of information that affect your clients.
I recommend adding a “Resources” section that you categorize by tool or by subject matter. Maintain this resources section with up-to-date resource links, and encourage your website visitors to bookmark you and send you “tips.”